Key West Firehouse Museum

Key West Firehouse Museum

Key West Firehouse Museum

 

Built in 1907, Fire Station No. 3, located at the corner of Grinnell and Virginia Streets, is one of the oldest fire stations in the state of Florida.   When the station opened, the Key West Fire Department consisted of 12 paid men and 200 volunteers with horse drawn steamers and hose carriages.  Each station had its own outfit name – this station housed Sunnysouth Engine Company and Tiger Hose Company No. 3.

The station has endured several hurricanes; the worst being the storm of 1909 that hit Key West with winds exceeding 100 MPH.  During the storm, Chief Hyam Fulford ordered his men to take the steam engine outside in the backyard.  Shortly after that order was given, the roof was completely destroyed.

Visit Site

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoQR-code-logoGeoJSON-LogoGeoRSS-Logo
Key West Firehouse Museum

loading map - please wait...

Key West Firehouse Museum 24.553777, -81.793056